Stomach bug strikes assisted living facility
A stomach bug has struck residents and staff of the Countryside Village Retirement Community, located at 1700 Kellenbeck Ave. in Grants Pass, resulting in several trips to the hospital.
Josephine County Public Health Director Diane Hoover says approximately 35 residents of the community fell ill in addition to eight staff members with what is likely an outbreak of Norovirus. Tests will have to be administered before Public Health can be certain of the diagnosis.
Asante Health System’s P.R. Specialist Grant Walker says there were several patients treated at the hospital Tuesday from Countryside Village and only a couple patients had to be admitted to the hospital for treatment.
Norovirus is the most common form of gastroenteritis and causes vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramping, headache chills and fatigue. The virus is spread through either vomit or stool that contaminates food, drink or other surfaces.
The Health Department urges citizens to wash their hands, especially before preparing food and eating or using the restroom, disinfect toilet surfaces, wash laundry thoroughly and avoid preparing food for others. Those infected are contagious from the moment they display symptoms up to three or more days after symptoms subside.